Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Monitoring My GAME Plan Progress

My first goal that I would like to pursue is "developing technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress" (ISTE, 2008). I have acquired a list of the content for all subject areas that will be addressed this school year for the fourth and fifth grade students. I will publish a list of this content material for each grade level and distribute the list to each class's students. From the list, the students will select content areas that they are interested in learning and exploring. From the student responses, I must determine which content areas the students are most interested in investigating and then create lesson plans. I have decided to modify my action play by including the students a choice of various forms of completing computer projects. I intend to implement my goal of providing the students the opportunity for more creative freedom during the second nine weeks. The goal t incorporate a course management system like Moodle has progressed through the discovery of the computer hardware specifications list that provides the requirements to operate Moodle. My next step involves evaluating the classroom computers whether they meet the required specification on the Moodle specifications list. If the computers fail to meet the required specifications, I must research my options for acquiring the materials needed to meet the specifications list. If the computers meet the specifications list, then I must develop the classroom Moodle page.

Another goal that I am attempting to accomplish is "model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning" (ISTE, 2008). The goal is to implement 21st century technologies into my computer classroom but first I must acquire a change in school policy to initiate this goal. I must formulate a proposal with statistical information regarding the educational benefits to the students to persuade the administration to change the current policy that prohibits the students' usage of blogs, wikis, e-mail, and social networking sites. If the school's administration disapproves the policy change, then I must re-evaluate my goal and modify my plan.

ISTE (2008). The National Educational Technology Standards and Performance Indicators for Teachers. www.iste.org

1 comment:

  1. How do you plan to present the choices to the students without overwhelming them? It sounds like there could be tons of opportunities for them? Will you limit where they can give input and then select some areas? Student choice is great, but it can be overhwleming for them and you if you don't put limits in place when you first start working on something like this.

    ReplyDelete